It’s all a matter of perspective
We often do something very similar when we are preparing for an event.
Would you purposely set yourself up for failure on race day months in advance of your big race? Would you willingly sabotage your big event?
Of course you wouldn’t! That would be plain crazy, yet many unknowingly do just that.
Let’s pretend that you are signed up for an Olympic Distance race. The swim is against the current and is never wetsuit legal, the bike has three major climbs and the run is anything but flat. The weather for this race is notoriously hot and inhospitable.
Right off the bat you know that this is going to be a challenging race. You can set yourself up for success or failure depending on how you think about the race and your training. Let’s go through two different thought processes.
- It’s going to be brutal out there. It’s always so hot for this race
- That swim is going to be hard, I hope that I can make it
- I hope that I can ride strong on the hills, is my gearing right?
- The run is going to hurt
- I hope that there is enough aid out there
- Is there any shade on the course?
- It’s usually hot for this race. To insure that I am ready I will train in the heat. It won’t be a big deal to me. I will be prepared
- I am going to work on my swim to insure that I am strong enough to deal with the current. I will be strong enough that the current won’t be an issue
- I will be riding lots of hills that are bigger and longer than the ones on the course. Hills will be my friends
- The run will be my ace in the hole. It will be just another run for me. I will be ready
- The heat won’t bother me. I train in this all the time. I will have my nutrition dialed in before the race and I will have everything that I need
- I don’t need shade, shade is for napping and I am not here to nap. I want to RACE!
- Be realistic. Know the challenges that await you for the race and training for that race
- Be thorough. Have a plan on how to deal with each unique challenge
- Be indomitable. Don’t let a challenge stand in your way